This article is considered appropriate for administrators or workspace users with an intermediate level of knowledge about submission portals. If you are a beginner, we recommend reading the following article first:
For more information about suggested learning paths, see Introduction to Submission Portals: START HERE.
The process of editing the field labels (i.e., field names) on a form that is tied to a Step in a submission portal can be done in two places: on the form itself, or within the Submission Portal Settings. This article will walk through how to change the field labels on a Step from the Submission Portal Settings.
The Purpose of Editing Field Labels
The Submission Portal is designed to collect information from portal users through Steps, which are associated with forms that exist in a workspace. At times, an administrator may wish to change the way the fields and questions appear to portal users, such as field name, the wording of a question, or the specific text used in instructions. The standard way of doing this is to edit the form directly in Form Editor (see the article Form Builder Overview).
However, the Submission Portal Settings allow administrators to change the label of a field (i.e., what a portal user sees) without changing the form itself. This can be useful if, for example, the form is used in two different submission portals, and the label of a field needs to be changed in one portal but not the other. It can also be useful if an administrator is less comfortable with making changes directly to a form.
Where to Find the Setting
In the Submission Portal Settings, the option to change a field label on a Step can be found on the Details tab of the Step Settings page for the specific Step to be edited.
To find the setting:
- Logged into a program as an administrator, navigate to the Settings & Tools section by selecting the cog wheel icon in the top navigation bar.
- Select the Submission Portal tile from the Plugin Settings section.
- Select the Edit button to the appropriate submission portal.
- To edit a field label on a Step, navigate to the Step that requires changes by selecting the appropriate link for the Step in the Portal Sections panel on the left side of the screen. Multiple steps are highlighted in the screenshot below to show there may be more than one.
- Selecting a Step in the Portal Sections panel will change the contents of the right panel and display the Step Settings, as shown below.
- Select the Details tab to show a table-like view of the fields on the form associated with this Step. Each row represents a field on the associated form.
Editing Field Labels
After navigating to the appropriate Step’s settings and Details tab:
- In the Labels column, select the label for the row/field to edit; a cursor appears prompting text edits.
- Edit the label as needed.
--- IMPORTANT ---
In the Details tab, the column labeled Field is the field name/text that Zengine identifies on the form itself, and the text in that column cannot be changed. The items in the Label column are editable, and those labels are how they appear in the Step to portal users.
- Press the Return/Enter key on the keyboard or select anywhere outside of the label to accept the edit. The box changes to yellow and displays a lightning bolt and a Reset button indicating that the label has been changed.
- To undo the edits that have been made, select the Reset button before saving any changes.
- After all field labels are edited as needed, select the blue Save all settings button in the lower right corner of the screen.