This article is considered appropriate for administrators or workspace users with an intermediate level of knowledge about submission portals. If you are a beginner, we recommend reading the following article first:
For more information about suggested learning paths, see Introduction to Submission Portals: START HERE.
The process of editing the field labels on a form in a submission portal can be done in two places: on the form itself, or within the Submission Portal Settings. Editing the field labels from the Submission Portal Settings will not affect the appearance of the fields on the Profile form itself.
This article will walk through how to change the field labels on the Profile from the Submission Portal Settings.
The Purpose of Editing Field Labels
The Submission Portal is designed to collect information from portal users through Steps, which are associated with forms that exist in a workspace. At times, an administrator may wish to change the way the fields and questions appear to portal users, such as field name, the wording of a question, or the specific text used in instructions. The standard way of doing this is to edit the form directly in Form Editor (see article Form Builder Overview).
However, the Submission Portal Settings allow administrators to change the label of a field without changing the form itself. This can be useful if, for example, the form is used in two different submission portals, and the label of a field needs to be changed in one portal but not the other. It can also be useful if portal users should see a different field name from administrators accessing the information in the Zengine workspace.
Where to Find the Setting
In the Submission Portal Settings, the option to change a field label on the Profile can be found on the Details tab of the Profile page.
To find the setting:
- Logged into a program as an administrator, navigate to the Settings & Tools section by selecting the cog wheel icon in the top navigation bar.
- Select the Submission Portal tile from the Plugin Settings section.
- Select the Edit button to the appropriate submission portal.
- To edit a field label in the Profile, select Profile in the Portal Sections panel on the left side of the screen.
- Selecting Profile in the Portal Sections panel will change the contents of the right panel and display the Profile Section Settings, as shown below.
- Select the Details tab to show a table-like view of the fields on the Profile form. Each row represents a field on the associated form.
Editing Field Labels
After navigating to the Profile Section Settings and Details tab:
- From the Labels column, select the label to edit; a cursor appears prompting text edits.
- Edit the label as needed.
- Press the Return/Enter key on the keyboard or select anywhere outside of the label to accept the edit. The box changes to yellow, displaying a lightning bolt and a Reset button indicating that the label has been changed.
- To undo any edits that have been made, select the Reset button before saving any changes.
- After all field labels are edited as needed, select the blue Save all settings button in the lower right corner of the screen.
--- IMPORTANT ---
In the Details tab, the column labeled Field is the field name/text that Zengine identifies on the form itself; the text in that column cannot be changed. The items in the Label column are editable and those labels are how they appear in the Profile to portal users.