This article is considered appropriate for administrators or workspace users with an intermediate level of knowledge about submission portals. If you are a beginner, we recommend reading the following article first:
For more information about suggested learning paths, see Introduction to Submission Portals: START HERE.
- The Purpose of Editing Field Help Text
- Where to Find the Setting
- Editing Form Field Help Text
The process of editing the help text on a form in a submission portal can be done in two places: on the form itself, or within the Submission Portal Settings. Editing the field help text from the Submission Portal Settings will not affect the appearance of the fields on the Profile form itself.
This article will walk through how to change the help text for fields on the Profile from the Submission Portal Settings.
The Purpose of Editing Field Help Text
The Submission Portal is designed to collect information from portal users through Steps, which are associated with forms that exist in a workspace. At times, an administrator may wish to change the way the fields and questions appear to portal users, such as adding help text to a field, or editing existing help text.
Help Text appears as smaller gray text underneath field text, and is often used to provide additional guidance or instructions to those filling out the form and fields. In the example image below, the field help text appears beneath the question in the submission portal.
The standard way of adding or changing field help text is to edit the form directly in Form Editor (see article Form Builder Overview). However, the Submission Portal Settings allow administrators to change the help text of a field without changing the form itself. This can be useful if, for example, the form is used in two different submission portals, and an administrator wants to change the wording of the help text for one or more fields in one portal but not the other. It can also be useful if portal users should see a different field help text from administrators accessing the information in the Zengine workspace.
Where to Find the Setting
In the Submission Portal Settings, the option to change the help text for a field on the Profile can be found on the Details tab of the Profile page.
To find the setting:
- Logged into a program as an administrator, navigate to the Settings & Tools section by selecting the cog wheel icon in the top navigation bar.
- Select the Submission Portal tile from the Plugin Settings section.
- Select the Edit button to the appropriate submission portal.
- To edit the help text for a field in the Profile, select Profile in the Portal Sections panel on the left side of the screen.
- Selecting Profile in the Portal Sections panel will change the contents of the right panel and display the Profile Section Settings, as shown below.
- Select the Details tab to show a table-like view of the fields on the Profile form. Each row represents a field on the associated form.
Editing Form Field Help Text
After navigating to the Profile Section Settings and Details tab:
- From the Help Text column, select the help text of the field to edit; if help text already exists on a form for a field, it appears in this column but can be edited.
- A cursor appears prompting text edits.
- Edit the help text as needed.
- Press the Return/Enter key on the keyboard or select anywhere outside of the help text to accept the edit. The box changes to yellow and displays a lightning bolt and a Reset button indicating that the label has been changed.
- To undo any edits that have been made, select the Reset button before saving any changes. Note that this will undo any edits to the original text, and not just any recent edits that have been made.
- After all help text is edited as needed, select the blue Save all settings button in the lower right corner of the screen.