This article is considered appropriate for administrators or workspace users with an intermediate level of knowledge about submission portals. If you are a beginner, we recommend reading the following article first:
For more information about suggested learning paths, see Introduction to Submission Portals: START HERE.
- The Purpose of Moving a Step to a Different Stage
- Where to Find the Setting
- Moving a Step to a Different Stage
The Stage Settings page in the Submission Portal Settings allows an administrator to customize the way a Stage looks and functions. This includes adding and managing Steps within a Required Stage.
This article will discuss how to move a Step to a different Stage in a submission portal.
The Purpose of Moving a Step to a Different Stage
Steps are the actions that need to be completed within a Stage, and are tied to forms set up in a Zengine workspace.
There are times when an administrator may wish to move a Step to another Stage without deleting it and starting over. This could be because a Step was added to the wrong Stage accidentally, or perhaps the program workflow changed, and the submission portal needs to be updated to reflect that. It may also be useful for preserving the Step configurations if a Stage needs to be deleted and/or moved (for more information, see the article Change the Order of Submission Portal Stages).
Whatever the reason, reassigning a Step to a different Stage is simple and can save a lot of time compared to adding and configuring a new Step.
Where to Find the Setting
In the Submission Portal Settings, the option to move a Step to a different Stage in a submission portal, is located within the Stage Settings for that specific Stage.
To access the option to move a Step:
- Logged into a program as an administrator, navigate to the Settings & Tools section by selecting the cog wheel icon in the top navigation bar.
- Select the Submission Portal tile from the Plugin Settings section.
- Select the Edit button to the appropriate submission portal.
- Navigate to the desired Stage in the Portal Sections pane on the left side of the screen. Multiple stages are highlighted in the screenshot below to show there may be more than one.
- Selecting a Stage in the Portal Sections panel will change the contents of the right panel and display the Stage Settings.
- Select the Steps tab.
Moving a Step to a Different Stage
After navigating to the Steps tab:
- A list of existing Steps already associated with this Stage will show on the screen; the screenshot below is an example. Locate the step to be moved.
- Select the arrow button next to Configure Step on the Step that is being moved.
- Selecting the arrow button from the previous step will open a small dropdown menu, listing other Stages in this submission portal. Select the appropriate Stage from this list.
--- IMPORTANT ---
A Step associated with the submission portal’s Primary form cannot be moved.
- The Step will be moved to its new Stage immediately, but these changes will not take effect until they are saved. Select the blue Save all settings button in the lower right corner of the screen to save all changes.