This article is considered appropriate for administrators or workspace users with an advanced level of knowledge about submission portals. If you are a beginner or intermediate user, we recommend reading the following articles first:
- Submission Portal Key Concepts: Beginner
- Submission Portal Key Concepts: Intermediate
- Submission Portal Settings
For more information about suggested learning paths, see Introduction to Submission Portals: START HERE.
A Submission Portal contains the workflow that a portal user will go through during the full course of a program, and is structured through the use of Stages and Steps. Program administrators can add one or more Stages to the program’s submission process if needed. This is typically done during the submission portal buildout (see Building a Submission Portal), but may also be necessary later if program administrators decide an additional Required or External Stage should be added to the workflow.
This article will explain how to add a Stage to a submission portal.
Where to Find the Setting
In the Submission Portal Settings, the option to add a submission portal stage can be found on the Submissions page.
To find the setting:
- Logged into a program as an administrator, navigate to the Settings & Tools section by selecting the cog wheel icon in the top navigation bar.
- Select the Submission Portal tile from the Plugin Settings section.
- Select the Edit button to the appropriate submission portal.
- Under Portal Sections, select the Submissions header.
Add a Stage
To add a stage:
- Scroll down the workflow and select the + icon where the new Stage should be positioned in the workflow. (When hovering over the + icon, the Add a Stage alt text will appear as shown below.)
- The +Add Stage appears directly after selecting the + icon to Add a stage.
- Select the text box next to Stage name to give a name to the Stage.
Keep in mind that the name that is given will appear in the Submission Portal for portal users who have access to that Stage at any given time.
- Select if the stage is Required or External. (Please see Submission Portal Key Concepts: Intermediate for more information about Required and External stages.)
- From the dropdown list, select the appropriate folder from the Primary form for the submission portal that should be associated with this new Stage. As the instructions on the page state, the folder selected at this point means that when the folder on the portal user’s Primary form record is changed to this folder, this Stage will be active for that user.
- If the Stage is an External Stage, an additional Stage Activity section will appear, allowing the selection of additional folders to qualify the associated form with that Stage. This means that the associated form will move to that stage if it is in any of the folders selected on this screen.
- Select the blue Save all settings button in the lower right corner of the screen to save the changes.
- If the stage is a Required Stage, at least one Step will need to be configured for the stage. Please see the article Add a Step to a Submission Portal Stage for more information.
Configure a Stage
See the following articles for optional ways of configuring the new Stage:
- Change the Folder(s) Associated with a Submission Portal Stage
- Add a Step to a Submission Portal Stage
- Change the Order of Steps in a Submission Portal
- Changing the Name of the Homepage, Profile, Stages, or Steps in a Submission Portal
- Submission Portal Stage Deadline
- Submission Portal Stage Pre- and Post-Completion Text
- Customize the Stage Completion Button